Jennifer Bley Sweeny
T : 817-632-6314
F : 817-632-6313
Jennifer / Partner
Jennifer Bley Sweeny is a Board Certified Labor and Employment attorney, specializing in representing employers of all sizes with issues ranging from day-to-day employment matters to complex discrimination lawsuits, arbitrations, and labor disputes. As a long-time labor and employment litigator, Jennifer is able to provide legal advice and employment consulting services that help employers avoid the pitfalls that can result in costly litigation. Jennifer’s employment consulting services, include: human resources training, union avoidance training, compensation and FLSA compliance audits, workplace investigations, employment handbook and policy updates and roll-outs, performance coaching, and training and preparation for union campaigns. Jennifer is in the business of helping employers avoid litigation, but should litigation ensue, she vigorously defends employers in litigation across Texas, as well as arbitrations and administrative proceedings across the United States.
Principal practice area
- The University of Texas School of Law (J.D., 2008)
- Brown University (B.A., 2005)
- Women’s Golf Team, First Team All-Ivy
- IADC Trial Academy, Stanford Law School (2013)
- Advises employers on day-to-day personnel matters, handling employee complaints, and preventing employment-related litigation.
- Represents employers and employees in enforcement and defense of non-compete agreements and alleged violations of the Texas Uniform Trade Secrets Act
- Represents companies in collective bargaining, labor disputes, NLRB investigations, labor arbitrations, strike preparations, and other labor relations matters.
- Provides labor and employment training for supervisors, managers, executives, and human resources professionals all over Texas, and drafts new policies and procedures documents for employers.
- Extensive experience in workplace investigations.
- Negotiated severance packages with employees, including highly compensated executives, on behalf of employers.
- Represented religious institution in federal lawsuit filed in the Western District of Texas, as well as the subsequent appeals in the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court. The final judgment from the Western District of Texas in the religious institution’s favor was upheld on appeal.
- Obtained a take nothing jury verdict in an overtime and minimum wage suit under FLSA for DFW restaurant chain in Federal District Court for the Northern District of Texas.
- Obtained take nothing jury verdict in wrongful termination suit against employer in McClennon County District Court.
- Obtained take nothing judgment for employer accused of sexual harassment and retaliation.
Bar admissions and certifications
- Board Certified in Labor and Employment by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- State Bar of Texas
- U.S. Supreme Court
- The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
Professional And Community
- Adjunct Professor of Negotiations, TCU Neeley School of Business, MBA Program, 2017
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” in 2014-2017 by Super Lawyers Magazine, a Thomson Reuters service
- Recognized as a Top Attorney 2013-2017 by Fort Worth Magazine
- Recognized as Top Attorney 2017 by 360 West Magazine
- Co-Chair of the Kathy Whitworth Invitational Golf Tournament benefitting the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Fort Worth
- Susan G. Komen Foundation of Greater Fort Worth, Board Member
- Tarrant County Bar Association, Member
- Texas Bar Foundation, Member
Publications and presentations
- “Non-Competes in Employment At-Will” HR Southwest Conference 2015
- “The Myth of Employment At Will,” HR Southwest Conference 2014
- “The Over Expansive Reach of the NLRA in the Private Sector,” HR Southwest Conference, 2013
- TCU, Neeley School of Business– Guest Lecturer 2013-present (“Labor Law Basics;” “Negotiate Like a Lawyer;” “Employment Law: Just the Basics)
- “On the Hook: Joint Employer and Post-Release Claims,” Tarrant County Bar Corporate Counsel Section, 2017
- “Preparing for the Age of Telecommuting,” Fort Worth Business Press, August 13, 2012
- “Diversified Workforce: Dodd-Frank Act,” Fort Worth Business Press, January 15, 2011
- “Taking Steps: Promoting Diversity and Inclusion in Your Workforce,” Fort Worth Business Press, Diversity 2014