Jennifer Bley Sweeny
T : 817-632-6314
F : 817-632-6313
Jennifer / Partner
Jennifer Bley Sweeny was born and raised in Fort Worth. Since returning home after law school, she has focused her career on representing employers of all sizes with labor and employment issues ranging from day-to-day counseling and handbook drafting to complex discrimination lawsuits and labor disputes.
Principal practice area
- The University of Texas School of Law (J.D., 2008)
- Brown University (B.A., 2005)
- Women’s Golf Team, First Team All-Ivy
- IADC Trial Academy, Stanford Law School (2013)
- Represents national transit company in collective bargaining, labor disputes, NLRB investigations, labor arbitrations, and other labor relations matters.
- Provides labor and employment training for supervisors, managers, executives, and human resources professionals all over Texas, and drafts new policies and procedures documents for employers.
- Extensive experience in strike preparations and workplace investigations.
- Negotiated severance packages with employees, including highly compensated executives, on behalf of employers in the DFW area.
- Represented religious institution in federal lawsuit filed in the Western District of Texas, as well as the subsequent appeals in the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court. The final judgment from the Western District of Texas in the religious institution’s favor was upheld on appeal.
- Obtained a take nothing jury verdict in an overtime and minimum wage suit under FLSA for DFW restaurant chain in Federal District Court for the Northern District of Texas.
- Obtained take nothing jury verdict in wrongful termination suit against employer in McClennon County District Court.
- Obtained take nothing judgment for employer accused of sexual harassment and retaliation.
Bar admissions and certifications
- Board Certified in Labor and Employment by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- State Bar of Texas
- U.S. Supreme Court
- The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
Professional And Community
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” in 2014, 2015 & 2016 by Super Lawyers Magazine, a Thomson Reuters service
- Society for Human Resource Management
- Fort Worth Human Resource Management Association
- Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association
- Chair of the Kathy Whitworth Invitational, benefitting the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Fort Worth
- Lena Pope Home Young Professional Advocates
- Recognized as a Top Attorney 2013-2016 by Fort Worth Magazine
Publications and presentations
- Preparing for the Age of Telecommuting, Fort Worth Business Press, August 13, 2012.
- Diversified Workforce: Dodd-Frank Act, Fort Worth Business Press, January 15, 2011.
- The (Over) Expansive Reach of the NLRA in the Private Sector, HR Southwest, October 201